Meet the Board
Pennsylvania soybean farmer-directors make up the board of directors, overseeing the activities of the Pennsylvania Soybean Board.
Pennsylvania Soybean Board Directors
John Harrell* Lebanon, PA, Chair
Emily Landis, Pennsylvania Furnace, PA, Vice Chair
Steve Hykes, Greencastle, PA, Secretary/Treasurer
|Dr. Paul Esker
Penn State (Ex-Officio Member)
* Also serves on United Soybean Board
Nominations to the Pennsylvania Soybean Board of Directors
The Pennsylvania Soybean Board is currently accepting nominations of individuals who would be willing to serve on the Board of Directors of both the Pennsylvania Board as well as the United Soybean Board.
The volunteer members of the Pennsylvania Soybean Board (PSB) are responsible for the collection and administration of the soybean checkoff program within the State. The authority given to PSB under the Federal Act and Order are specific to soybean education, promotion, communication and research. PSB is not affiliated with lobbying of any manner.
Specific expectations and duties associated with serving as a director include:
- Annually, must raise soybeans in Pennsylvania to be eligible to serve on the board.
- The Board typically meets three (3) times per year or at the will of the Chairman. Meetings are held in early February, August and December.
- The Board does convene via conference call on an as needed basis.
- The Board strives for diversification of members including but not limited to: geographic; size & type of operation; leadership experience; age; gender; race; education and industry background.
- The initial term of a board member shall be three (3) years and each member is eligible to serve three (3) consecutive terms thereby serving a total of nine (9) years on the board assuming the member sought reappointment at the pleasure of the board. A board member who served nine (9) years may seek reappointment to the board after being off the board for one (1) year.
- Board members are eligible for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses incurred for attending soybean board meetings and/or soybean events/activities.
If you or an individual you know is interested in being considered to serve on the Board, please use the form below and submit all nominations to Jennifer Reed-Harry by close of business on July 10, 2020
The Pennsylvania Soybean Board is committed to growing leadership to serve on its board that reflects a diversity of perspectives and opinions as the industry population that pays the marketing and promotion assessment is diverse. That diversity should reflect size of operation, experience of members, methods of production and distribution, ethnicity and gender, marketing strategies, and other distinguishing factors that will bring different perspectives and ideas to the table.
In addition to the opportunities of the Pennsylvania Soybean Board, there are opportunities to serve on the United Soybean Board. The United Soybean Board is comprised of 72 farmer/leaders from across the United States. If you are interested in being nominated for the United Soybean Board, please contact our office for additional information on this process.
If you have questions, contact the PSB office at (717) 651-5922 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.